The Gupapuyŋu to English Dictionary contains over 4000 common words. Originally spoken by a number of clans in the region close to Gapuwiyak, Gupapuyŋu (Gupapuyngu) is one of a several Yolŋu (Yolngu) dialects currently spoken in the communities of Milingimbi, Ramingiṉing, Gapuwiyak and Galiwin’ku.
You can download a PDF version of the dictionary (Gupapuyŋu to English) or access an online interactive version in which you can search either English to Gupapuyŋu or vice versa. The PDF version contains an introduction to Yolŋu languages alphabet and grammar.
It is a useful vocabulary resource for non-Indigenous people learning Gupapuyŋu, or Yolŋu wanting to improve their English. It will also be of benefit to linguists and the Yolŋu community as a language archive.
We acknowledge the many people who have had a part in the making of ARDS' dictionaries, most importantly the Aboriginal people who shared their language and culture.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Australia (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0 AU) license, which allows you to
- Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Under the following terms:
- Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
- No Derivatives — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material
These works should be used in accordance with the following protocols:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Library and Information Resources Network Protocols (ATSILIRN)
- Indigenous Cultural and Intellectual Property (ICIP)
If you are concerned about the permission to view or use any of the materials available here, please contact us